I think my first name is Mrs.
I attempt to let my students know that, in fact, I am a real human being. (GASP!) I talk about my favorite things, my family, my husband, hobbies, what I do on the weekends.. they even know my first name. (Probably because they see it written on a latte cup every now and then, as I don't tell the baristas, "Mrs. J" when they ask for my name. That would be weird.)
I thought (oddly enough) that they knew I was more than a teacher. Apparently not.
I changed into workout gear before I left school for the day. I left about 20 minutes after the bell rang in workout pants and a top. One of my students happened to see me as I was leaving.
"MRS. J?? WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!"
"Leaving for the day. I am going to workout at the gym." (I have told the class I do this sometimes after school.)
"But... but... [splutter.. stutter.. gasping noises] OH. MY. GOSH."
"Have a good weekend!"
As I continue to walk, I hear her say to her friend, "THAT WAS MY TEACHER! OH MY GOSH!"
Of course, it's easy to judge. How do my students think I am not a human being just like them?
But how easy is it to forget that we do the exact same things as adults..
"STARS! They're just like US!"

4 comments:
hahaha well done. Teachers, they are just like us!
hilarious. posted on me blog.
that's cute...i know i thought my teacher was not like me at all!!!
Just came across your blog.
SO true!
I cycle to school everyday, and EVERYDAY the same students see me and gasp...you would think after 3 years they would be used to seeing me wizz past them!
Post a Comment