Creative juices flowed and I produced a ribbon mobile. Well I made one. I didn't produce one out of one of my body cavities. Like a hen. (I had to say hen before your mental images got weird.)
Surprisingly, the little circle of ribbon ended up being around $30. But that's DIY for you. I'll do it myself and save money! Hahahahahaha, no.
Anyway, after lots of time wandering the ribbon aisle, I made exactly what I wanted to make! Which sounds stupid, but DIY can go incredibly wrong incredibly fast. So ending up with what you want is completely in the hands of the DIY universe.
I searched for some easy to follow step by step instructions, but found no decent ones and thought I would just wing it. (Which is USUALLY a recipe for disaster, but not this time, hohoho). So I took pictures of my journey, in case, for some reason, you also want to spend $30 on ribbon and tie a crapload of it around a metal hoop.
Step One: Buy Ribbon (then take a picture of said ribbon, only to have your cat get in the way)
Step One (Again): Buy Ribbon. Oh, and a Metal Hoop.
I bought 11 rolls of ribbon in my preferred ribbon scheme. I wanted peachy/coraly/jutey/burlapy kind of look. That's a thing, right? I ended up having to go out and buy 4 additional rolls of ribbon to fit my 10 in diameter metal hoop. Oh yea, buy a metal hoop. I wandered the aisles of Hobby Lobby until I found this metal hoop. What is it used for originally? No idea.
Step Two: Cut Ribbon
I cut ribbon in 12 inch-24 inch strips. I didn't want a uniform look (I also didn't want to measure 16 rolls worth of ribbon) so I just started cutting. An unkempt non-uniform look is like messing up, on purpose. Which is definitely my cup of tea.
Step Three: Fold Ribbon and Place Over Hoop
Self-explanatory, right? I figure a picture is worth a thousand words, so read away little craft bug.
Step Four: Take Ends of Ribbon and Loop Under Hoop
I started out capitalizing the steps, so now I must do it for continuity sake. You must deal with it.
Step Five: Pull!
This creates those fun little knots that aren't really knots.
Step Six: Continue
You would not believe how difficult randomly placing ribbon in a haphazard manner actually is. AHHH, the burlap is too close to the OTHER type of burlap! Step 6.a.: Begin panicking. Step 6.b.: Just stick some other ribbon in between the burlaps.
Step 7: Continue Randomizing
Step 8: Move to the Floor and Get Comfortable, Then Move Back
I tried to do this because I needed maximum comfort level (that's a 26 week belly right there), and the animals moved in to help. And by help I mean get in my way and drool on my leg. And that was only the cat's shenanigans.
I panicked again when I realized I actually had to hang this above the crib, and I had no crib-hanging device thing. But then I remembered Amazon exists and I found one. I ended up tying some burlap in strategic areas around the hoop, then tying the burlap to a little hook, then hooking the whole thing on my Amazon crib arm holder.
I am sure my womb resider will love this ribbon so much that one day, in 25 years, she will send me a little note and write, "I owe it all to you Mummy Dearest, and that crafty little ribbon mobile you made me at the ripe age of 26 womb weeks."
You are welcome, little lobster. (Apparently, that's how big she is these days.) You are welcome.
1 comment:
Awesome. Also.... Did I miss the part where you said you were having a girl??? Or did I just forget? Either way... YAY!!!! That's very exciting and I'm excited to hear what you name her. So fun. Anyway! Cute mobile! (And yes... I pronounced that "mo-byle" as if I were British because I just finished watching an episode of downton abbey and I get all sorts of fancy after 45 minutes of Mary Crawley being all posh and what have you.
Post a Comment