Remember in high school when your English teacher made you analyze a poem and you secretly made up loads of crap because in all honesty, the poem probably meant exactly what the poet wrote? Me too. I passed with flying colors.
Yea, I am that teacher now. I would like to think I am teaching them how to BS now so that way they are all prepared for high school. Most of them are pretty good. (Either that or I really did teach them something.)
We listened to this song and I posted an excerpt up on the board for them to analyze. (See? A song. I am young. I am hip. I know the kids.) I received these beautiful responses:
-It makes me think of the people that have died in a war for us.
-This is like a quote from a diary.
-This tells you that the answer is everywhere. (That is from a kid who knows how to BS with the best of them. He is fantastic.)
And then... when I was feeling so proud of my kids and the awesome lesson I created... I read the first honest bit of an idea.
-WHAT THE HECK DOES THAT MEAN?
Yes, the student used all capital letters.
This child has vocalized what thousands of children are thinking when they have to read poetry in school. This child has reflected and come to the conclusion that every other child (including me) should have come to upon reading any sort of poem in class. This child is the voice of the future and speaks for all children everywhere.
I gave the kid an A.
-This is like a quote from a diary.
-This tells you that the answer is everywhere. (That is from a kid who knows how to BS with the best of them. He is fantastic.)
And then... when I was feeling so proud of my kids and the awesome lesson I created... I read the first honest bit of an idea.
-WHAT THE HECK DOES THAT MEAN?
Yes, the student used all capital letters.
This child has vocalized what thousands of children are thinking when they have to read poetry in school. This child has reflected and come to the conclusion that every other child (including me) should have come to upon reading any sort of poem in class. This child is the voice of the future and speaks for all children everywhere.
I gave the kid an A.
No comments:
Post a Comment